Re: [squid-users] Config help for a new squid user.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:44:34 +1300

Adam Gill wrote:
> I'm trying to use Squid 2.7 on Windows in a multi user environment. I'm using a SAAS webfilter service (Webroot) and want to allow all client connections to go through a proxy first (which will be in a DMZ with a rule to aloow it out to the WAN) before hitting the internet.
>
> Webroot recommended Squid and gave me the following info...
>

> First, you need to give Squid a parent cache. Second, you need to tell Squid it can not connect directly to origin servers. This is done with three configuration file lines:
> cache_peer wg.uk.wrproxy.com parent 3128 0 no-query default
> never_direct allow all
>
> I've put this into Squid.conf (found in C:\Squid\etc) and restarted the Squid service. The service stops with the message "The Squid service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do...."
> I then checked the squid.log and it says
>
> 2010/01/21 11:04:21| ACL name 'all' not defined!
> FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 2: never_direct allow all
> Squid Cache (Version 2.7.STABLE7): Terminated abnormally.
>
> I'm now a bit stuck with what to try next - I have had a look at the Wiki but I have to confess that it didn't help me work out the problem. Can anyone help before I have to go back down the ISA route :( I'm sure the conf should have a lot more info than just those few lines.

NP: There is another config file squid.conf.documented or
squid.conf.default with a book worth of descriptions inside it.

Order is critical to some things in the config file.

The wiki bit most relevant is here:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/OrderIsImportant

In short, there are lines in your squid.conf which start "acl ". The
never_direct line MUST be somewhere underneath at very least the one
starting with "acl all src ".

Amos

--
Please be using