Re: [squid-users] Requests Per Second

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:37:22 +1300

BarneyC wrote:
> I'm trying to get a handle on the number of RPS (Maximum) a residential ISP
> is likely to see on a busy 100Mb/s network (close to capacity). Most of the
> stats I see on here seem pretty low.
>
> I'm trying to at least interpolate the largest network load a single squid
> box could handle without requiring clustering.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barney

The stats vary depending on actual visitor behavior and needs.

The pipe can be maxed trivially easy. Just download something huge. I've
watched Squid max out a 10MB/s pipe with less than 1 RPS to a dedicated
client.
Going purely at those rate (maximum usage per client) an ISP with
100MB/s links could perhapse handle 100 clients concurrently downloading.

Squid does quite naturally balance the load between clients though. So
several thousand clients are handled easily. The reports from real-life
ISP go up as high as 800 RPS for a single instance and 5,000 concurrent
RPS for a small cluster of Squid.

Amos

--
Please be using