Re: [squid-users] why squid does not support sendfile() ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:26:33 +1300

Weibin Yao wrote:
> I'am using squid-2.7. I has checked the configure reference and found
> nothing about sendfile(). Why squid does not support sendfile()?
> especially the HIT request.

1) Blocking call. Squid needs to support more than one client request
simutaneously.
2) speed. sendfile is limited linearly by disk IO speeds, blocking the
entire time.
3) HTTP protocol. The current design of Squid stores the headers and
data together. They cannot be altered correctly according to protocol
requirements during a sendfile() call.
4) collapsed forwarding. multiple clients may be receiving the same
identical object from Squid simultaneously, or even different parts of
the same object.
4) object location. not all HIT objects are from files. some may be in
memory, or a range of something partially received by another client.

Amos

--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15