Re: [squid-users] Squid performance issues

From: Felipe W Damasio <felipewd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:35:00 -0200

  Hi Mr. Robertson,

2010/1/26 Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>:
>>  Do you have any idea or any other data I can collect to try and
>> track down this?
>>

> Check your log rotation schedule.  Is it possible that logs are being
> rotated  at midnight?  I think that the swap.state file is rewritten when
> "squid -k rotate" is called.  Check the beginning of your cache.log to
> verify.

  I don't use -k rotate.

  At midnight, the only thing that changes is that the traffic shapper
of the ISP let's everything run loose, ie. it allows http requests go
through the roof.

  The youtube requests, which is what I really care about, goes form
and avg of 20Mbps of traffic (shaped), to around 50Mbps unshapped.

   This is, I suppose, what's causing squid to slowdown....but squid
is able to handle this kind of traffic increase, isn't it?

   I don't think is the correct behavior squid at this time slowdown
from 0.04s to load a HTML file to 23-40 seconds.

   I'll run iostat and vmstat tonight to see if I get more info to
track this down, and I'll send them to the list tomorrow.

   Just so you know, if before midnight I run a "ebtables -t broute
-F", the time to access the HTML file doesn't increase at all, so I
don't think it's the network running out of bandwidth.

   Thanks,

Felipe Damasio