Re: [squid-users] running out of filedescriptors

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:30:07 -0900

Landy Landy wrote:

>> Won't do no good. Landy's Squid compile time option is
>> 16384 max. So
>> either she stumbled over a bug or the Squid is under a
>> higher load with
>> lots of connections.
>> Landy, are you graphing Squids connections and traffic?
>> Does Squid use
>> up the file descriptors slowly over a longer period, days I
>> mean, or was
>> this a short burst of high traffic?
>>

> Well, I donīt know whatīs going on. I recently installed videocache and noticed a lot of traffic in the loopback interface lately maybe is because is downloading videos. I dont know maybe is affecting it. Any ideas?

As recommended, try running "ulimit -n 16384" before starting Squid (or
adding that command to your Squid init script) and re-check your
cache.log. If you still see the line "With 1024 file descriptors
available", then you will have to run that ulimit command before
compiling Squid as well as before starting it.

Chris