Re: [squid-users] Re: squid crashing

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:43:27 +1300

tcygne wrote:
> There is no "FATAL: assertion failed " in cache.log. I think I'm
> misrepresenting the problem when I say "crashing". I don't think the squid
> server is crashing. I think it just stops handing out data to the clients.
> From the client point of view it looks as if the websites never load. It
> just continues to spin. A ps -A shows squid still up. An /etc/init.d/squid
> stop and then squid -z and then /etc/init.d/squid start will cause the
> server to start handing out data again, for a little while (no more than 10
> minutes), and clients get web pages. But then stops again. I've had to take
> this server off line (it is still up, but has no clients going through it)
> until I can figure out what went wrong.
>
> I set up 2 of these web cache proxies at the exact same time with the exact
> same hardware specs. And the exact same configuration. (other than IP
> information) One is on the 10.60.0.0 subnet and one on the 10.80.0.0 subnet.
> 2 different locations on the WAN. One of them is still chugging along great.

Okay. Something about that instance then.

If you know or can find out how to use a utility called strace. It can
probably show exactly what Squid is doing during this lost time.

It's usually some sort of garbage collection or cache rebuilding. Though
there are a few security bugs long fixed which can result in hanging
when processing certain protocol requests/replies.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15