Re: [squid-users] Squid reverse proxy, is there anything similar to mod_proxy_html in Apache?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:25:37 +1300

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:27:06 +0800, fulan Peng <fulanpeng_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys!
>
> I have made mod_proxy_html working with Apache22(
> http://apache.webthing.com/mod_proxy_html/) But many web sites won't
> work because Apache mod_proxy cannot handle small errors in html
> pages. For example, in the web pages, href="/onepage.html" is ok. But
> href="onepage.html" won't work. Squid is stronger than Apache to
> handle these small errors in web pages. I fooled around with Squirm
> and Squid many hours and I never made it work in reverse mode. Is
> Squirm the right thing for reverse proxy url rewriting? Is there any
> tool similar to Apache's mod_proxy_html for reverse proxy url
> rewriting?
>
> I really cannot understand.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Fulan Peng

/sigh.

Why change the URLs at all? Pass them back unchanged to the web server.
All a reverse-proxy need do is store the cacheable content and pass the
rest to the origin server. The less it does the stronger and faster the
service it provides.

Proper reverse-proxy configuration:
  http://wiki.squid-cahce.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/BasicAccelerator
  http://wiki.squid-cahce.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/VirtualHosting

What you are now looking at is one of the reasons why URL alteration in
transit is a VERY BAD idea.

Your solution options:
 * fix the website or web application
 * tell someone who can to fix it