RE: [squid-users] dns problem

From: J. Webster <webster_jack_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 22:40:55 +0000

It would seem strabge for the IP address of the source server to change everyday as DNS addresses take a while to update and the source server company wouldn't want their site down for more than a few seconds.
I have the host nameservers set in /etc/resolv.conf as:
nameserver 213.171.xxx.xxx

nameserver 213.171.xxx.xxx

search localdomain

squid must use those as I have not set any nameserver= in the squid.conf
Should I put those into the squid.conf directly or perhaps even the opendns IP addresses?

> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 23:19:36 +0100
> From: jc_at_info-systems.de
> To: webster_jack_at_hotmail.com
> CC: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
> Subject: Re: [squid-users] dns problem
>
> J. Webster schrieb:
>> I was having a problem on my squid server whereby 1 website would timeout daily and return a nscd not found error: www.skyplayer.com
>> (...)
>> I have found that by restarting the dns cache everything works again:
>> /etc/init.d/nscd restart
>>
> This is not a squid-related problem. I assume that the IP address of the
> source server has changed and the caching name server still provided the
> old entry to squid.
> Another possibility is a corrupt DNS cache. Squid uses whatever DNS
> information it gets from the name servers configured through the
> operating system or optionally directly in squid.conf. You might want to
> configure your provider's nameservers if you only need external name
> resolution.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jakob Curdes

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/