Re: [squid-users] dns problem

From: Jakob Curdes <jc_at_info-systems.de>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 00:04:55 +0100

J. Webster schrieb:
> It would seem strabge for the IP address of the source server to change everyday as DNS addresses take a while to update and the source server company wouldn't want their site down for more than a few seconds.

This depends on the validity of the DNS entries. Not sure if nscd obeys
these in any situation. You can setup a DNS correctly to change rapidly
(as can be seen with any DNS redirecting service for dialup IPs).
> I have the host nameservers set in /etc/resolv.conf as:
> nameserver 213.171.xxx.xxx
>
> nameserver 213.171.xxx.xxx
>
> search localdomain
>
> squid must use those as I have not set any nameserver= in the squid.conf

Then nscd would be out of the game; if the problem goes away after
restarting nscd, squid obviuosly uses this DNS server either via
localhost or via the IP address of the machine. What nameservers are
configured in the nscd config?

cheers jc