RE: [squid-users] dns problem

From: J. Webster <webster_jack_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 23:29:44 +0000

Thanks.
This is the nscd.conf - doesn't look to have any nameservers?

# /etc/nscd.conf
#
# An example Name Service Cache config file. This file is needed by nscd.
#
# Legal entries are:
#
# logfile <file>
# debug-level <level>
# threads <initial #threads to use>
# max-threads <maximum #threads to use>
# server-user <user to run server as instead of root>
# server-user is ignored if nscd is started with -S parameters
# stat-user <user who is allowed to request statistics>
# reload-count unlimited|<number>
# paranoia <yes|no>
# restart-interval <time in seconds>
#
# enable-cache <service> <yes|no>
# positive-time-to-live <service> <time in seconds>
# negative-time-to-live <service> <time in seconds>
# suggested-size <service> <prime number>
# check-files <service> <yes|no>
# persistent <service> <yes|no>
# shared <service> <yes|no>
# max-db-size <service> <number bytes>
# auto-propagate <service> <yes|no>
#
# Currently supported cache names (services): passwd, group, hosts
#

# logfile /var/log/nscd.log
# threads 6
# max-threads 128
        server-user nscd
# stat-user nocpulse
        debug-level 0
# reload-count 5
        paranoia no
# restart-interval 3600

        enable-cache passwd yes
        positive-time-to-live passwd 600
        negative-time-to-live passwd 20
suggested-size passwd 211
        check-files passwd yes
        persistent passwd yes
        shared passwd yes
        max-db-size passwd 33554432
        auto-propagate passwd yes

        enable-cache group yes
        positive-time-to-live group 3600
        negative-time-to-live group 60
        suggested-size group 211
        check-files group yes
        persistent group yes
        shared group yes
        max-db-size group 33554432
        auto-propagate group yes

        enable-cache hosts yes
        positive-time-to-live hosts 3600
        negative-time-to-live hosts 20
        suggested-size hosts 211
        check-files hosts yes
        persistent hosts yes
        shared hosts yes
        max-db-size hosts 33554432

> Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 00:04:55 +0100
> From: jc_at_info-systems.de
> To: webster_jack_at_hotmail.com
> CC: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
> Subject: Re: [squid-users] dns problem
>
> J. Webster schrieb:
>> It would seem strabge for the IP address of the source server to change everyday as DNS addresses take a while to update and the source server company wouldn't want their site down for more than a few seconds.
>>
> This depends on the validity of the DNS entries. Not sure if nscd obeys
> these in any situation. You can setup a DNS correctly to change rapidly
> (as can be seen with any DNS redirecting service for dialup IPs).
>> I have the host nameservers set in /etc/resolv.conf as:
>> nameserver 213.171.xxx.xxx
>>
>> nameserver 213.171.xxx.xxx
>>
>> search localdomain
>>
>> squid must use those as I have not set any nameserver= in the squid.conf
>>
> Then nscd would be out of the game; if the problem goes away after
> restarting nscd, squid obviuosly uses this DNS server either via
> localhost or via the IP address of the machine. What nameservers are
> configured in the nscd config?
>
> cheers jc

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/