Re: [squid-users] Is OpenDNS efficient for squid?

From: Shawn Wright <swright_at_shawnigan.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:03:09 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

----- "Dieter Bloms" <squid_at_bloms.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 07, J. Webster wrote:
>
> > Is there any problem with using opendns server as the dns_nameserver in squid?
> > Is it slower than using the local hosts namersevrers?
> > I have an issue with dns timeouts for 1 or 2 websites and am having to restart the dns cache (nscd) every 6 hours to flush it.
> > I thought adding the nameservers to the squid.conf would bypass this issue.
>
> you can savely disable nscd.
> I had some trouble with nscd till I disabled it.
> I think you don't get any performance issues.
>

> --
> Gruß
>
> Dieter

We switched to OpenDNS in December, after years of using our own djbdns servers, and have not seen any issues. The server provides access to 650 campus users over a 1Gb link, with typically 100Req/s throughout the day. Our hope is that OpenDNS will reduce the time spent on ACL maintenance in squid, and allow us to drop some ACLs completely.

--
Shawn Wright
I.T. Manager, Shawnigan Lake School