Re: [squid-users] Recent Polygraph results for Squid?

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:27:10 +1030

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:35:47AM -0000, Oborn, Keith wrote:

> I'd be very interested in any numbers at all - most particularly on
> recent Sun kit, as it looks as if ZFS is a good bet for Squid. I must
> admit I alway hankered after testing a proxy/cache on a Thumper (X4540)
> because of the huge spindle density.

Our main squid proxies are a couple of sun fire v445's, peak http
requests are 12.5k/min, median service time < 100ms. We run our
caches on ZFS, two spindles only. We cut over from UFS because we
kept running into fragmentation problems on UFS - squid would claim
the disk was full but df would say not.

> At present, any numbers that get me within like a factor of two of
> actual performance on any modern X86 server hardware would be great (and
> perhaps any idea if using Sun T-series helps - does Squid like lots of
> threads?)

Squid itself is single threaded so it probably would not benefit from
a T-series itself but if you have a lot of
authenticators/redirectors/other ancillaries it may work well, or
maybe either setup multiple instances of squid or even resort to
slicing up the machine into a few LDOMs to present multiple smaller
machines in the same chassis - that may keep the squid config simpler.
Never tested squid on a T-series myself though.

--
Brett Lymn
"Warning: