[squid-users] Recent Polygraph results for Squid?

From: Oborn, Keith <Keith.Oborn_at_virginmedia.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:35:47 -0000

Hi all -

We used to be a heavy user of commercial forward proxy/cache products,
but with the demise of the NetApp line we stopped that activity.

However, I'm now looking for an initial steer on a good large-scale
forward proxy setup (multi-gigabit rates, hundreds of thousands of
users). Unfortunately, our Polygraph rig was also scrapped some time ago
(boxes died-), and it will take time and resource to build a new one.

Sadly, the isp-caching and web-polygraph lists seem to be dead
nowadays-.

I'd be very interested in any numbers at all - most particularly on
recent Sun kit, as it looks as if ZFS is a good bet for Squid. I must
admit I alway hankered after testing a proxy/cache on a Thumper (X4540)
because of the huge spindle density.

At present, any numbers that get me within like a factor of two of
actual performance on any modern X86 server hardware would be great (and
perhaps any idea if using Sun T-series helps - does Squid like lots of
threads?) - that will enable us to decide whether it is worth setting up
to run our own detailed tests. I will, of course, post any test results
we produce if we go down that road.

Save Paper - Do you really need to print this e-mail?

Visit www.virginmedia.com for more information, and more fun.

This email and any attachments are or may be confidential and legally privileged
and are sent solely for the attention of the addressee(s). If you have received this
email in error, please delete it from your system: its use, disclosure or copying is
unauthorised. Statements and opinions expressed in this email may not represent
those of Virgin Media. Any representations or commitments in this email are
subject to contract.

Registered office: 160 Great Portland Street, London W1W 5QA.