[squid-users] Re: Recent Polygraph results for Squid?

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:39:33 +0100

Unfortunately numbers in that range is rare and usually not published.
In fact barely no one publishes and usable performance numbers about
their setups.

We try to collect such indications when given at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Benchmarks but not very much
of value even there with lots of missing details....

The biggest Squid installation reasonably public about it's numbers is
Wikimedia, but that is a reverse proxy setup, not a forward proxy, and
those two workloads are inherently different with the forward proxy
setup much heavier on I/O due to the higher rate of cache replacement.

I know that there is several mobile phone operators running Squid proxy
services integrated in their access offering which maybe could compare
to what you are doing, but they are all also very silent about the
fact...

Other things I can note is that the usage of Squid on SUN platforms seem
to have decreased noticeably in the last years, with Linux & FreeBSD on
commodity servers from HP, Dell etc being the main platforms, even for
bigger installations.

Regarding threads the current answer is that Squid is not yet a good
multi-core performer. But it's an important area and something the
project wants to work on getting right. But it's also an area which will
require some substantial work and requires someone willing to sponsor at
least in part to get going.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer, Stockholm Sweden