Re: [squid-users] Re: slow performance 1 user : 3.1.0.16 on default config

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:07:11 +1300

Andres Salazar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This time we can see I followed the original config. A page like
> cnn.com takes about 60 seconds to load. Without the proxy it takes 10
> seconds.

That sort of matches the relative number of parallel connections modern
browsers will open to proxies vs to web servers.

You need to read this:

http://www.stevesouders.com/blog/2008/03/20/roundup-on-parallel-connections/

  "

Note that if you’re behind a proxy (at work, etc.) your download
characteristics change. If web clients behind a proxy issued too many
simultaneous requests an intelligent web server might interpret that as
a DoS attack and block that IP address. Browser developers are aware of
this issue and throttle back the number of open connections.

In Firefox the network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy setting
has a default value of 4. If you try the Max Connections test page while
behind a proxy it loads painfully slowly opening no more than 4
connections at a time to download 180 images. IE8 drops back to 2
connections per server when it’s behind a proxy, so loading the Max
Connections test page shows an upperbound of 60 open connections. Keep
this in mind if you’re comparing notes with others – if you’re at home
and they’re at work you might be seeing different behavior because of a
proxy in the middle.

"

Amos

--