[squid-users] One instance as both, proxy and reverse proxy

From: Bastian Spanneberg <bastian.spanneberg_at_linkwerk.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:17:23 +0100

Hi all

I'm trying to find out if the following scenario is possible with Squid:

I want to run 1 instance of Squid, which acts as both, a proxy with
proxy authentication and as a reverse proxy for different web/app
servers in the back.

Is there a way for squid to distinguish between standard proxy and
reverse proxy requests ?

In a very old mail on this list
(http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200110/0764.html)
I've found the following:

>> *No* clients on the private network will be using the proxy in the
>> standard fashion - it will only be used for reverse proxy to 1 system.
>
> Good. Makes things a lot simpler. Using it as both is a big mess
> currently.. (will be addressed in Squid-2.6)

That sounds like it is possible.

I'm thankful for any hints.

--
Linkwerk - Software und Beratung für vernetzte Information
Telefon:   +49 40 69 66 48 14