Re: [squid-users] peer selection with weight=N

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:58:39 +0100

fre 2010-02-19 klockan 03:08 -0200 skrev H:

> Thing is, all three as parent with no-query round-robin get equal load as
> supposed, but, giving one (any) of them weight=2 makes no difference, still
> gets the same load.

How much traffic do you have?

> So I thought doing this
>
> cache_peer parent_IP parent tport uport no-query [weight=2]
> cache_peer parent_IP parent tport uport no-query round-robin
> cache_peer parent_IP parent tport uport no-query round-robin

The peers all need to be configured equal except for the weight.

For non-ICP/HTCP peers only round-robin has a definition of weight. The
other peering types all select just one or a ordered list..

> when I disconnect the first parent from it's upstream link, navigation failes,

See retry_on_error directive.

> when I shut squid down on it, it rolls over to the second and third and does
> round-robin as supposed. So I added monitorurl to the first and the failover
> works BUT it never comes back to query the first.

Works for me.. at least last time I tried.

> which also works as long as everything is online. Whatever options are set as
> expressed with [], soon the first parent or its uplink fail the siblings deny
> access completely. Of course miss_access peer allow is set properly, they do
> not serve misses, either with no-query nor icp. Seems sibling operation does
> not work at all for misses.

Correct. Siblings are only sharing cache, not uplink. What differs a
sibling from a parent.