[squid-users] Squid 3.0 and Linux 2.6 kernel tweaks

From: Andy Litzinger <Andy.Litzinger_at_theplatform.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:10:37 -0800

Hi All,
 I searched through the mail archives and squid-cache site, but I’ve been unable to find anything that mentions any kernel tweaks that may or may not be necessary with a 2.6 kernel. I am mostly concerned with running high volume reverse proxy setups.

For example, back in the Squid v 2.6 days with 2.2 or 2.4 linux kernels I see lots of recommendations for raising the file descriptor limits to 8192 or 16384. With the 2.6 kernel it seems the default kernel params (at least in RHEL5) far exceed the fd kernel tweaks people used for 2.2 or 2.4 kernels. It would seem adding the ulimit –HSn 8192 would actually be decreasing the file descriptor limits from the 2.6 kernel defaults.

Also, what is the default value for –with-filedescriptors that Squid 3.0 STABLE24 supports? I don’t see that in the output of ./compile –help

I’d be happy to add a wiki page addressing the following scalability topics if someone points me to the correct location.
- Checking/Increasing the ephemeral port range
- Checking/increasing file descriptor limits
- Checking/decreasing TCP TIME_WAIT

Regards,
 Andy

Andy Litzinger ▪ Sr. Network Engineer