Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.0 and Linux 2.6 kernel tweaks

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:19:53 +0100

fre 2010-02-19 klockan 10:10 -0800 skrev Andy Litzinger:

> For example, back in the Squid v 2.6 days with 2.2 or 2.4 linux kernels I see lots of recommendations for raising the file descriptor limits to 8192 or 16384. With the 2.6 kernel it seems the default kernel params (at least in RHEL5) far exceed the fd kernel tweaks people used for 2.2 or 2.4 kernels. It would seem adding the ulimit –HSn 8192 would actually be decreasing the file descriptor limits from the 2.6 kernel defaults.

2.6 kernel default ulimit is 1024.

> Also, what is the default value for –with-filedescriptors that Squid 3.0 STABLE24 supports? I don’t see that in the output of ./compile –help

On must systems the default is whatever the ulimit is set to when you
run configure.

> I’d be happy to add a wiki page addressing the following scalability topics if someone points me to the correct location.
> - Checking/Increasing the ephemeral port range

usually not needed unless you have many hundreds/s forwarded requests.

> - Checking/increasing file descriptor limits

Squid tells at startup what limit it is running under.

> - Checking/decreasing TCP TIME_WAIT

Usually not needed. Closely connected to the ephemeral port range issue
mentioned above.