Re: [squid-users] R: [squid-users] HTTP/1.0 417 Expectation failed

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:04:33 -0900

Riccardo Castellani wrote:
> I ask if Squid previous versions ignored Expect header forwarding request to
> server.
> But now why Squid code (2.7 version) detects this header and it handles it
> as error ? Why has this Squid behaviour been modified ?

Given the following scenario...

Some random software, upon receiving notification that there is a
HTTP/1.0 link in the chain decides to ignore that fact and use a
HTTP/1.1 method (against protocol)

...which outcome would you prefer:

1) Squid accepts the traffic, unrecognized request header (Expect:
100-Continue) and all, and silently fails when the response comes in, or
returns a partial response as if it was complete.

or

2) Squid recognizes a broken request (with a header that it can't
handle) and terminates the request with a visible error explaining
exactly what is going on.

Personally, I like to know why things break when they inevitably do.

Chris