Re: [squid-users] Benchmark performance of Squid Version 2.7 Stable 4

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:41:43 +1300

squid squid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently I am running Squid Version 2.7 Stable 4 on 2 different
> Linux ES3 box. The specification of the boxes are 2 x Intel Xeon
> 2.6GHHz CPU and 2.5GB RAM as well as 2 x Xeon 3.6GHz with 2GB RAM.
>
> Basically there is no caching configured on the squid apps and it is
> being used like a middle man between client and web/apps servers
> which has both http and https transaction.
>
> Kindly advise the following:

Best thing to do is plug them in and run some benchmark software yourself.
Sadly few do this, and even fewer tell the rest of us what they see.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Benchmarks

> 1. What is the maximum number of requests that each box can serve or
> is there any documentation or calculation that can derived the
> figures???

Depends on your configuration AND your users behaviour. See (3)

Reports indicate something between 700 and 2,500 requests per second for
  single dual-core box.

> 2. What is the maximum number of clients that each box can
> support???

Ranges from infinite to one. Depending on your users desire.

> 3. is there any data in squid that is able to tell how much time
> squid need to process each request passing thru it???

No. Depends on your configuration.
Lab tests produce numbers ranging from 3 requests per second to 300,000+
requests per second, by simply varying the cacheability and size of test
object fetched.

Amos

--
Please be using