Re: [squid-users] Squid utility command to force a cache load from a local hard drive?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 23:36:21 +1300

John Doe wrote:
> From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
>> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 17:56:41 -0800, "C.W. Holeman II" wrote:
>>> Is there a Squid utility command to force a cache load from a local hard
>>> drive?
>> No such tool is needed.
>> The cache is just a directory structure of filesystem files. As long as
>> you are not fiddling with the actual content or layout you can move the
>> whole structure between Squid boxes just fine.
>
> I think the harddisk would contain html files and such, and not squid cache files... right?

My reading of the problem description referenced was to mirror Squid
caches via manual means instead of networked sibling relationships
between the proxies.

> Maybe *temporarely*:
> - setting www.example.com in /etc/hosts...
> - setting up an apache/lighttpd pointing to the USB disk
> - running a recursive wget --delete-after
> - removing apache/lighttpd
> - removing www.example.com from /etc/hosts
> would this work...?
>
> JD

For anything not already in squid cache structure a local web server is
required as you outline.

It will not work for squid formatted cache objects. They contain binary
meta data as well as the HTTP object.

Amos

--
Please be using