Re: [squid-users] Squid not returning gzip files

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 18:56:51 +1300

Elli Albek wrote:
> Hi,
> I have squid in front of tomcat servers as reverse proxy. The origin
> servers return some files gzipped. I can confirm this by going to them
> directly with header
> Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
>
> Origin server returns:
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
> Cache-Control: max-age=1801
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> ETag: W/"18267-1250213328000"
> Last-Modified: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 01:28:48 GMT
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 03:58:54 GMT
> Connection: close
>
> If I go to squid with the same header I get the uncompressed file:
>
> HTTP/1.0 200 OK
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> Last-Modified: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 01:28:48 GMT
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:38:40 GMT
> Via: 1.1 www...:80 (squid/2.7.STABLE6)
> Connection: keep-alive
>
> The only squid configuration is reverse proxy ACL for origin servers
> and the domains they map to, there is nothing specific to compression
> or headers in general. This is using the default tomcat connectors
> that support compression.
>
> Any ideas?

It looks like the inconsistent vary problem. Do a bit more of a scan
requesting the same URL this time checking variations of Accept header
content. ( "*", "*/*", "gzip", "deflate", "identity" ).

If any of the responses come back without "Vary: Accept-Encoding" that
needs to be fixed.

Amos

--
Please be using