Re: [squid-users] Warning your cache is running out of file descriptors

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:49:44 +0000

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:06:39 -0000, Gmail <adbasque_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> This is the first time I am using this mailing ;list, and I do apologise
> if
> I sent a copy of this email to another address by mistake
>
> I am desperately seeking some help, I have googled in a hope to find an
> answer, but all I could find was about the previous versions, which
don't
> apply to the version I am using and to my OS:
>

> I am running Squid3.0 Stable
> OS Ubuntu Hardy
>
> I am currently getting this warning:
>
> Warning your cache is running out of file descriptor, but I couldn't
find
> where to increase the size from 1024 to any number.
>
> On the previous versions and other OS systems, it's apparently located
> here
> /etc/default/squid but on my system it doesn't exist.
>
> Can anyone please point me to where I can change that?

Create the said /etc/default/squid file and add the needed setting.

The packaged version may not support more even with that extra config. If
not your Squid will need to be rebuilt to support more or upgrade to a
newer release.

> Can you help please, since I started using Squid I had problem after
> problem, lot of other applications are not working, I still can't access
> my
> backend HTTP servers, but that's another problem for another day.

Might be related. If squid can't connect and is being flooded with client
requests that is one sure way to burn through FD.

Amos