RE: [squid-users] Squid cache_dir failed - can squid survive?

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:54:34 +0100

tor 2010-03-18 klockan 06:16 +0000 skrev GIGO .:
> Dear henrik,
>
> If you have only one physical machine what is the best strategy for
> miminmizing the downtime and rebuild the cache directory again or
> start utilizing the squid without the cache directory? I assume we
> have to reinstall the Squid Software? Please guide....

The approach I proposed earlier with two Squid processes running in
cooperation will make service surive automatically for as long as the
system disk is working.

If using just one process then making Squid stop trying to using the
cache is as simple as removing the cache_dir specifications from
squid.conf and start Squid again. You do not need to reinstall unless
the system/os partition have been damaged. This change to squid.conf can
easily be automated with a little script if you want.