Re: [squid-users] Squid cache_dir failed - can squid survive?

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:57:56 +0100

tor 2010-03-18 klockan 17:25 +1100 skrev Ivan .:
> I wonder about the value of http cache, when the majority of high
> volume sites used in the corporate environment are dynamic.
> http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/

Hit ratio have not declined that much in the last decade. It's still
around 25-30% byte hit ratio and significantly more in request hit
ratio.

While it's true that a lot of the html content is more dynamic than
before there is also lots more inlined content such as images etc which
are plain static and caches just fine and these make up for the majority
of the traffic.

> How is the no-cache HTTP header handled by Squid?

By default as if the response is not cachable. Somewhat stricter than
the specifications require, but more in line with what web authors
expect when using this directive.