[squid-users] Squid3 issues

From: Gmail <adbasque_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:30:11 -0000

Hello everyone,
I have been trying for nearly 5 weeks now to get this piece of software to
work, I have tried several versions, I have tried it on several platforms,
all I got from it is frustration, I know that some people would say what a
fantastic piece of software.

I have used many softwares, packages, compiled stuff for years, never ever
had an experience such as this one, it's a package full of headaches, and
problem after problem, And to be honest the feedback I get is always blaming
other things, why can't you people just admit that Squid doesn't work at
all, and you are not providing any help whatsoever, as if you expect
everyone to be an expert.

I also don't like the attitude of some people, talking to you as if you're
an "idiot", while in fact you follow their suggestions to the letter and yet
it doesn't work, instead of blaming the operating systems and blaming people
for not knowing how to use it, why can't you try and do something that works
for a change, I have wasted nearly 5 weeks day in day out sometimes I stayed
til 3 or 4 am trying desperately to get this thing working.

For instance if I compile with no options I know that somewhere down the
line I am going to find out that I needed this or that, if I compile it with
some options I get errors that don't make any sense, examples.

I uninstalled the version that was packaged with Ubuntu hardy, I am trying
to compile it so I won't have the same problem, with the file descriptors, I
followed exactly the suggestions in the configure --help menu, yet I am
getting an error,
like Compile cannot create executable, or something to that effect.

Not to mention when I tried to run it, it didn't forward any requests, I
have followed all of the configuration examples and people's suggestions,
never could forward any request to my backend server.

After three weeks I managed to get my clients to have access to the
internet, and many applications didn't work, such as Yahoo, Msn, Steam and
so on, when I ask for help, nobody has an answer including some members of
the team.

Yes I can hear some arguments, saying but we are volunteers, true, but you
either do something that works or don't.

If I needed help for say, Unrealircd or any other program I know I can get
help, and their documentaion, does what it says on the tin. you follow their
instructions, you will get it to work exactly as they say.

With squid, it doesn't work, that's all I am getting, I don't even believe
that it works now to be honest, I am sorry I am not moaning but it's true, I
have been on many forums for weeks and all I could see were problems people
are facing with any version of squid , and no solutions are given very few
and after you fix one problem 10 others pop up somewhere else I certainly
don't want to spend my life fixing and bashing my head trying to find a
solution, I want something that works, but unfortunately it doesn't.

I am just going to try something else somewhere else,
Thanks all the same for anyone who tried to help, but this is not for me,
life is too short to waste anymore of my time, in trying to get something
that doesn't work, "working"

If anybody can prove me wrong:

Regards
All the best to everyone