Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid3 issues

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:02:19 +1300

Linda Walsh wrote:
> Gmail wrote:
>> I have used many softwares, packages, compiled stuff for years, never
>> ever had an experience such as this one, it's a package full of
>> headaches, and problem after problem, And to be honest the feedback I
>> get is always blaming other things, why can't you people just admit that
>> Squid doesn't work at all, and you are not providing any help
>> whatsoever, as if you expect everyone to be an expert.
> ----
> I've only seen one post by you on this list -- and that was about

"Gmail" (Adam?),
   I think most of the problem communicating with us is that your
replies outlining the problems are going to individual people, not to
the list itself. Those of us here who might be ale to help with the
secondary problems are not even hearing about them.

What I've seen is;
   you post a problem description, somebody post a solution that
_should_ work under some circumstances and could act as a pointer for
further fixes or research if you understood them right.
  Then no further response from you. Which in these parts indicates you
are happy with the solution and have moved on to other problems at your
workplace.
  The rest of us make that assumption and move on to other peoples problems.

To fix this breakdown in communication:

  If you are using the gmail interface there is an advanced reply
options that need to be setup. If you can do "Reply-To List" or
"Reply-To All" the list should start getting the mails (check that the
list address 'squid-users' is in the recipients set before sending
anyway just to be sure).

  Other mailers tend to have those reply-to-all features somewhere as
well, and more easily available.

> increasing your linux file descriptors at process start time in linux
> -- not something in the squid software -- but something you do in linux
> before you call squid. It *** SHOULD*** be in your squid's
> /etc/init.d/squid startup script. -- you should see a command "ulimit -n
> <number>".
>
> I have "ulimit -n 4096" in my squid's rc script.
>
> It is a builtin in the "bash" script. I don't know where else it is
> documented, but if you use the linux-standard shell, "bash", it should
> just work. "-n" sets the number of open file descriptors.

FWIW, Myself or Luigi of Debian are the contact people for Squid
problems on Ubuntu.

In Ubuntu and other Debian -derived OS it seems to be limited by both
ulimit and the setting inside /proc/sys/fs/file-max.

The "squid" package from 2.7+ alters /proc/sys/fs/file-max as needed,
and provides a max_fd configuration option for run-time settings. Plus
adding a new "SQUID_MAXFD=1024" in /etc/default/squid increases the
global limit set into /proc.

The "squid3" package does not alter /proc, but changing ulimit in
/etc/init.d/squid3 can allow up to the /proc amount of FD to be used.
  The early 3.0 packages were built with an absolute max of 1024 FD, I
think the newer ones are built with a higher limit

>> I uninstalled the version that was packaged with Ubuntu hardy, I am
>> trying to compile it so I won't have the same problem, with the file
>> descriptors, I followed exactly the suggestions in the configure --help
>> menu, yet I am getting an error, like Compile cannot create executable,
>> or something to that effect.
> ----
> Maybe you should try a distribution where it is 1) known to work, or
> 2) already has a pre-compiled binary.

Linda,
  Ubuntu Hardy is one such. But the old packages have low FD built-in.

"Gmail",
   Regarding your earlier complaints which Nyamul Hassan kindly
forwarded back to the list for the rest of us to see...

  Yes we know squid-3.0 (particularly the early releases) was very
problematic. These problems have mostly been fixed over the last few
years as people reported them. You seem to have been stuck with an old
release of OS distribution and thus an old non-changeable squid version.

  If you are not tied to the LTS support, I would suggest trying an
upgrade to Ubuntu Jaunty or Karmic. The Hardy "squid3" package has a lot
of known and fixed issues.

  Yes, I read your reply to Nyamul indicating you were trying to build
your own. Squid 3.x is mostly developed on Debian and Ubuntu. Your build
problems are a mystery. Self-builds usually fail due to wanting
features built but not having the development libraries needed. If you
want to continue the self-build route we can help, but will need to know
exactly what the error messages are that you face.

I'm awaiting your response to Nyamul Hassans' last question before
commenting on the config details for yoru setup.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.18