Re: [squid-users] Yet another IMAP support request

From: Jakob Curdes <jc_at_info-systems.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:35:04 +0100

Sabyasachi Ruj schrieb:
> I went through this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg59892.html.
> I also needed that IMAP to work via Squid. There was no conclusion on
> that thread.
>
> Is it possible to use Squid for IMAP traffic using HTTP's CONNECT
> method? If not, can anybody tell us the reason? I thought CONNECT can
> be used to achieve the same functionality that SOCKS can provide? Am I
> missing something?

No, you are not missing something, currently this is not possible.

Squid concentrateds on being a good HTTP proxy with some limited
functionality RE https.
The "tunnel CONNECT" patch mentioned in the thread might help, but only
if you have a target that accepts what has been tunneled.
I.E. you could try to tunnel IMAP via SSL but only if the target
mailserver accepts SSL.
It is probably impossible to tunnel a plain IMAP connection in this way
as your target mailserver will not understand the protocol being delivered.

HTH,
Jakob Curdes