Re: [squid-users] Squid3 issues

From: <Adam_at_Gmail>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:59:57 -0000

Hi Amos, I forgot to ask you about this comment

Amos Wrote:
" The "IRC-server / Digichat server" may not be proxy-able at all through
> Squid. It depends if they use HTTP services, or if they are accessible via
> HTTP"

According to you or from what I understand, proxy server (Squid) can only
allow HTTP/HTTPS requests, correct?
If that's a yes, what are we going to do with all hundreds of requests then?

You know as well as I do, running servers and services, you don't just run
programmes and applications that are passed through http
So if the only access to A "network" is through 3128 (http) what happens to
the rest of the services that we can provide?

I am a little confused, so in my opinion correct me if I am wrong, we must
allow through DNAT "iptables" all other services that don't use http, for
the simple reason, those requests will be rejected by the Proxy server.

For instance IRC servers use mainly these ports 6666-7000 the standard port
is 6667
Is the proxy server able to handle these ports?.

As for the Digichat server here is what is said about on their website

Will DigiChat work through firewalls and proxy servers?

All DigiChat licenses and chat hosting plans allow you to customize the
ports used, providing your

users access through firewalls. Additionally, DigiChat offers HTTP Tunneling
functionality on select

server licenses. This feature allows your chatters to use DigiChat from
behind protective proxy

servers. It is important that you understand the proper configuring of
server ports in order for this

feature to perform optimally. To ensure proper performance of DigiChat,
please refer to the

product documentation or consult a DigiChat support representative. NOTE:
Some advanced

features such as Audio chat (voice) or Video chat (web cam chat) make use of
UDP ports for proper

operation and as such are NOT tunnelled. Please configure your firewall so
that such advanced

features will work without interruption.

If anyone is interested to find out more about this here is the link

http://www.digichat.com/PDF/DC_FAQ.pdf

Regards
Adam