Re: [squid-users] media center and squid -- tellin squid to pass 'direct' to allow http1.1?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 03:20:34 +1300

Linda Walsh wrote:
> Has anyone gotten Windows media center to work through squid?
>
> I just tried it and whenever it got to 'content', I saw lots of
> "bad-gateway" mssages right after the HTTP/1.0 returned by squid. Just
> before that, I saw a bumch of SSDP requests looking for HTTP/1.1 -- but
> only thing it got back was an HTTP/1.0.
>
> The remote server kept sending back "bad gateway" -- after about 30
> attempts, the client gave up and returned "Video not available at this
> time."...
>
> So What I'm wondering is if it is possible to have squid not cache
> attempts
>
> From there, I eventually (on the player) got "Video is not available at
> this time".
>
> So I was wondering if it was possible to setup some sort of ACL type list
> to tell squid to pass through 1.1 requiring requests so they wouldn't fail
> -- wouldn't be cached, but better not cached than complete failure.
>
> Is this possible or has anyone done this?

Squid 2.6+ know enough HTTP/1.1 not to break 1.1 requests. I suspect
Squid-2.5 etc can also handle most of HTTP/1.1 without breaking anything
either.

Several of my clients use Media Center through my Squid. There was
nothing special to setup. Once the system settings are correct the HTTP
and HTTPS bits of media center 'just work'.

"bad gateway" sounds like something Squid might generate if it could not
connect to the origin server. Or if there were rules preventing that
request. Check the squid logs to see if its quid generated or remote
server generated.

There is probably a lot that media center does through native media
protocols though. If those are bocked by firewalls they will need to be
identified and unblocked to work. The video not available error sounds
like a stream protocol failing.

Amos

--
Please be using