Re: [squid-users] Does squid redirector work for https requests

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:18:06 +1300

Priyadarsan Roy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does the squid redirector program configured by the derivative
> redirect_program work for https requests coming to squid ?
>
> What I mean to ask is when https requests that come to squid, will that
> also to be send to the redirector program ?

Squid may send the URL it gets in the HTTPS tunneling request. Which
consists only of a server name and port. The URL re-writer can then do
what it pleases.

However it should be noted that if Squid alters the destination server
the browser is expecting to connect to very bad things might follow.
There is no guarantee the HTTPS transfer will succeed.

Squid is also capable of doing a HTTP redirect with deny_info (the
proper way). However doing an HTTP-level redirect of HTTPS is not
handled cleanly by some browsers and they may not follow the redirect.

Also, note how I keep saying "URL re-writer". Squid helper programs do
not do real HTTP redirection. They screw with the in-transit details
instead (and do a rough job of it too).

  redirect_program option has not existed in Squid for quite some years
now. It's been silently upgraded to url_rewrite_program instead. This
silent fix is going to end soon.

Amos

--
Please be using