Re: [squid-users] Squid v3.0Stable16 memory leak

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:21:35 +1300

Ivan . wrote:
> Hi
>
> Had this running on a RedHat EL5 64bit OS running Squid v3.0.STABLE16
> for about 3 days, with 8GB of memory. Slowly but surely "top" shows
> the availble memory dropping down to 500MB, which concerned me a great
> deal.
>
> I am not caching, using the cache_dir null directive, so not sure what
> is going on other a memory leak. Restarting the squid process didn't
> help, so I bounced the box and low and behold available memory is
> around 7GB.

Um ... Restarting Squid drops all the memory it has allocated, whether
leaked or not. Same as killing the process.

This sounds very much like something I saw back in the 2.6.31 kernel
last year. Any app that used a lot of memory or connections slowly
(relative) leaked RAM into the kernel space somehow. Only a system
restart or kernel upgrade to 2.6.32 fixed it here.

Amos

--
Please be using