Re: [squid-users] Authentication helpers not shut down

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 00:50:30 +0200

tis 2010-04-06 klockan 13:49 -0700 skrev David Parks:
> I noticed that running "squid -k reconfigure" starts a new authentication helper, but does not shut down the old one.

It does.

> Is this normal behavior? Do I just need to monitor for the closing of the input stream and shut down on that cue?

Correct. All Squid helpers need to monitor their input and shut down on
eof.

> p.s. if there are any good guides on the various types of helpers, and the protocol used with them I haven't come across it yet and would love a link.

The helpers and their protocols are documented in the squid.conf notes.

- url rewriters, url_rewrite_program
- basic auth helpers, auth_param basic program
- digest auth helpers, auth_param digest program
- negotiate auth helpers, auth_param negotiate program
- external acl helpers, external_acl_type

Other helpers not so well documented outside source:

- log daemon helper, logfile_daemon, access_log)
- dns helper, ache_dns_program ((deprecated in favor for internal dns
client)