[squid-users] Squid url_rewrite_program problem

From: txlombardi <tlombardi_at_pro-netserv.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:17:21 -0800 (PST)

The below post was made on another forum before I found this one. Only one
reply in five days and it was a question rather than a possible solution. I
am hoping some Squid expert here will be able to help me out. Below is the
original post.

Squid Redirect

I'm having some problems with a Squid redirect. The system:

Fedora 12 - fully updated as of April 6, 2010
Squid installed
SquidGuard installed
Transparent-Proxying installed (runs as a service)
IPTABLES running
Server has 2 NIC's
Server is configured as a bridge
Transparent proxy configured and working
Trying to setup a Captive Portal as detailed on the following site:

http://www.alexvanherwijnen.nl/blog/...ortal-for-free

All components for the Captive Portal are installed.
Here is the problem. The last item to do for the Captive Portal was modify
squid.conf, which was done. Immediately, when restarting the Squid service,
I got the following error (several errors shown, but each instance is from
one attempt to stop and start the squid service):

squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process 2983: (3) No such process
squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process 3457: (3) No such process
squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process 7763: (3) No such process
squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process 7867: (3) No such process

Terminal window shows the following:

[root_at_pns-linux admin]# service squid stop
Stopping squid: [FAILED]
[root_at_pns-linux admin]# service squid status
squid dead but pid file exists
[root_at_pns-linux admin]#
What is causing the failure and errors is the following lines in the
squid.conf file:

url_rewrite_program /var/www/html/scripts/redirect.php
url_rewrite_children 4
If I comment the two lines out, Squid and the transparent proxy works fine,
but then there is no redirection for the Captive Portal. The redirect.php is
there and it is set to allow execution. It is almost as if the
url_rewrite_program is not there. I have looked in the file system for it,
but found nothing. My guess is it is probably a procedure in a configuration
file.

Any help would be appreciated. This has been dogging me for three days now.

Tony