Re: [squid-users] Squid url_rewrite_program problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:50:26 +0000

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:17:21 -0800 (PST), txlombardi
<tlombardi_at_pro-netserv.com> wrote:
> The below post was made on another forum before I found this one. Only
one
> reply in five days and it was a question rather than a possible
solution.
> am hoping some Squid expert here will be able to help me out. Below is
the
> original post.

What version of Squid?

For captive portals I suggest Squid-3.1 as soon as convenient, and try 3.2
when it's out.

> Squid Redirect

> I'm having some problems with a Squid redirect. The system:
>
> Fedora 12 - fully updated as of April 6, 2010
> Squid installed
> SquidGuard installed
> Transparent-Proxying installed (runs as a service)
> IPTABLES running
> Server has 2 NIC's
> Server is configured as a bridge
> Transparent proxy configured and working
> Trying to setup a Captive Portal as detailed on the following site:
>
> http://www.alexvanherwijnen.nl/blog/...ortal-for-free
>
> All components for the Captive Portal are installed.
> Here is the problem. The last item to do for the Captive Portal was
modify
> squid.conf, which was done. Immediately, when restarting the Squid
service,
> I got the following error (several errors shown, but each instance is
from
> one attempt to stop and start the squid service):
>
> squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process 2983: (3) No such
process
> squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process 3457: (3) No such
process
> squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process 7763: (3) No such
process
> squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process 7867: (3) No such
process

> Terminal window shows the following:
>
> [root_at_pns-linux admin]# service squid stop
> Stopping squid: [FAILED]
> [root_at_pns-linux admin]# service squid status
> squid dead but pid file exists
> [root_at_pns-linux admin]#
> What is causing the failure and errors is the following lines in the
> squid.conf file:
>
> url_rewrite_program /var/www/html/scripts/redirect.php
> url_rewrite_children 4
> If I comment the two lines out, Squid and the transparent proxy works
fine,
> but then there is no redirection for the Captive Portal. The
redirect.php
> is
> there and it is set to allow execution. It is almost as if the
> url_rewrite_program is not there. I have looked in the file system for
it,
> but found nothing. My guess is it is probably a procedure in a
> configuration
> file.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. This has been dogging me for three days
now.

> Tony

Re-writing URLs in transit is a nasty hack not particularly good for
captive portals.

I have much better experiences running CP with deny_info and some ACLs in
squid.conf instead.
 http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/deny_info

Depending on your access requirements the session helper may also be of
use.
  http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.1/manuals/squid_session

Amos