[squid-users] Re: Squid url_rewrite_program problem

From: txlombardi <tlombardi_at_pro-netserv.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 03:48:50 -0800 (PST)

Amos,

Thanks for your reply and help. Squid version as it is shown in the
add/remove programs of Fedora 12 reads, "Squid-7:3.1.0.17." I assume that
is version 3.1. SquidGuard is "Squid-1.4-8.fc12."

I am trying to follow the instructions of Alex Vanherwijnen (link in
original post) to create a captive portal. Everything seems fine except for
the url_rewrite_program which crashes Squid. The advantage in using his
solution is it maintains a database of user connections, so only one
redirect will happen to the login page during the session time period.

I did look at the two links you posted. The session helper looks like a
better solution. The problem is this is all a new area for me and I'm not
sure I can pull that off without some examples to look at. Do you know of
any that are posted?

A last thought. I wonder. Should I be trying to use Squid Guard for the
captive portal? It would seem to somehow be involved in the redirect. The
service is running, but I have not configured it in any way.

Tony