Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid url_rewrite_program problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 00:39:40 +1200

txlombardi wrote:
> Amos,
>
> Thanks for your reply and help. Squid version as it is shown in the
> add/remove programs of Fedora 12 reads, "Squid-7:3.1.0.17." I assume that
> is version 3.1. SquidGuard is "Squid-1.4-8.fc12."

Ah, a beta with known issues. A 3.1 production release of Squid might
prove more stable.

> I am trying to follow the instructions of Alex Vanherwijnen (link in
> original post) to create a captive portal. Everything seems fine except for
> the url_rewrite_program which crashes Squid. The advantage in using his
> solution is it maintains a database of user connections, so only one
> redirect will happen to the login page during the session time period.

Might be a problem with 3.1.0.17 thats not been mentioned before.
Probably selinux though.

If you find you need the extra control Alex Vanherwijnens' script
offers, then it should be fine to go with it instead. After a few small
alterations it can fit into the same place the squid_session helper does.

> I did look at the two links you posted. The session helper looks like a
> better solution. The problem is this is all a new area for me and I'm not
> sure I can pull that off without some examples to look at. Do you know of
> any that are posted?

The "EXAMPLE" section of that manual contains the entire squid.conf
snippet needed to setup and run the helper and redirect to a splash page.

All you need do is insert the http_access rule into your other
http_access rules.

> A last thought. I wonder. Should I be trying to use Squid Guard for the
> captive portal? It would seem to somehow be involved in the redirect. The
> service is running, but I have not configured it in any way.

The only justifiable use I've seen for squidGuard is for URL filtering
using lots of regex, or extremely large domain lists etc.

Amos

--
Please be using