Re: [squid-users] R: [squid-users] Squid 2.7 port on Windows scenario

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:16:42 +1200

Guido Serassio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From the provided release notes about Windows limitations:
>
> * DISKD: still needs to be ported
> * WCCP: cannot work because user space GRE support on Windows is missing
> * Transparent Proxy: missing Windows non commercial interception driver
> * Some code sections can make blocking calls.
> * Some external helpers may not work.
> * File Descriptors number hard-limited to 2048.
>
> So, you cannot do transparent proxy on Windows.
>
> Regards
>

> Guido Serassio
> Acme Consulting S.r.l.
> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
> VMware Professional Partner
> Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
> Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
> Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it

Worth noting that you do not need Squid to be running on windows.
For best performance one of the Linux or Unix OS is recommended over
Windows.

>> My question is, how I can achieve this scenario with squid on
>> configuration
>> and hardware level? I've read squid documentation, example scenarios but
>> can't get it to run. AFAIK my proxy needs to fulfill transparent proxy to
>> remote box scenario. But maybe also reverse proxy? (I only want to cache
>> static content, and "balance" switching).

You only need the reverse-proxy feature for the above requirements.

With a properly setup reverse-proxy everything goes through the Squid
gateway and what can be cached is (usually the static bits, but also
some dynamic as well sometimes). So transparent never gets in the way to
complicate things. This also ads the benefit of being able to scale out
easily by plugging more Squid in at the front end.

The basic config example in the wiki is what you want to start with.
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/BasicAccelerator

  For the failover requirement simply configure two cache_peer parent
entries. One for each of the back-end servers. With identical
cache_peer_access or cache_peer_domain settings.

  For balancing there are a few methods, such as round-robin,
sourcehash, weighted or CARP to choose from. Pick the one that meets
your balancing needs and tune to suite your likings.
   http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/cache_peer

Amos

--
Please be using