Re: [squid-users] Outsource error pages

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:51:07 +1200

lupuscramus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to harmonize the error pages of my network. The error pages come from
> differents servers, and I want to centralize all the error pages on one shared
> platform.

Which makes all your systems dependent on the one server providing them.
Under conditions when an error is occurring and needs to be presented
... think carefully. VERY, VERY carefully.

One situation you need to consider most carefully is that
ERR_ACCESS_DENIED is presented by Squid on every single bad request from
relay port scan or DDoS attacks.

> To do so, I would like outsource the error pages of Squid. More precisely, I
> would like outsource the ERR_ACCESS_DENIED page, by giving an URL, for
> example.
>
> deny info url acl is useful when we define acl, but when someone try a wrong
> url, the page which is displayed by default is ERR_ACCESS_DENIED.
>
> So, I can't use deny info for this.

Squid 2.x also has the error_map feature which redirects to fixed URL
based only on status code.

I would question your actual need to centralize though. If it's merely a
matter of company branding Squid-3.1 provides the errpages.css config
where you can code up the display for Squid generated pages.

Amos

--
Please be using