[squid-users] Squid sends incomplete RESPMOD requests to ICAP Server on Solaris

From: Niall O'Cuilinn <nocuilinn_at_amdocs.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:11:24 +0100

Hi guys,

We are running performance testing on an ICAP server against Squid 3.1 using a dummy webpage. Squid is sending only a partial RESPMOD request to the ICAP server for our test page.

Squid sends a RESPMOD which ends by sending a large chunk. It indicates that the chunk will be BEFE bytes long, writes that many bytes and stops. The request is not properly terminated with a 0 to indicate no more chunks. The ICAP server hangs waiting for the remaining bytes and eventually times out. Squid returns an ICAP error.

We have found that if we reduce the size of our test page from 49437 to 48837 the problem does not occur (we think that it is related to reducing the page below the BEFE (48894) chunk size)

We have only seen this issue when both Squid and the ICAP server are both installed on Solaris.

If we run Squid on linux connecting to an ICAP server on solaris there is no issue. The same if we run Squid on solaris connecting to an ICAP server on linux.

It doesn't matter if the Squid and ICAP are on the same or separate solaris machines, if they are both running on solaris this problem occurs.

I have attached a copy of the RESPMOD request received from Squid.

If we can't resolve this issue we can't continue performance testing and can't certify our ICAP server for integration with Squid 3.1

This same performance test runs without issue against Squid 3.0 STABLE9

I've logged bug 2910 for this issue.

Best Regards
Niall

Niall Ó Cuilinn
Product Development
ChangingWorlds - A Unit of Amdocs Interactive
t: +353 1 4401268 | niall.ocuilinn_at_changingworlds.com

AMDOCS > CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE SYSTEMS INNOVATION