[squid-users] Using rewrite to optimize the squid-cache HIT rate

From: Georg Höllrigl <georg.hoellrigl_at_xidras.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:15:54 +0200

Hello,

I'm using several load-balanced squids as reverse proxy. I have extra subdomains for delivering
images. For example images1.example.com and images2.example.com. Both subdomains deliver exactly the
same content and are requested evenly distributed. Now my thought was, to improve the squid-cache
hitrate with a redirector program, which redirects all the requests for images2 to images1.
According to webserver logfiles this works. But when disabling the redirects, I don't see
significant differences in the hit rates.

Does anyone have a simmilar setup and can confirm this behavior?
Any hints about getting this "right" or hints to the right docs or even search terms?

Regards,

Ing. Georg Höllrigl