Re: [squid-users] Using rewrite to optimize the squid-cache HIT rate

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:36:56 +1200

Georg Höllrigl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using several load-balanced squids as reverse proxy. I have extra
> subdomains for delivering images. For example images1.example.com and
> images2.example.com. Both subdomains deliver exactly the same content
> and are requested evenly distributed. Now my thought was, to improve the
> squid-cache hitrate with a redirector program, which redirects all the
> requests for images2 to images1. According to webserver logfiles this
> works. But when disabling the redirects, I don't see significant
> differences in the hit rates.
>
> Does anyone have a simmilar setup and can confirm this behavior?
> Any hints about getting this "right" or hints to the right docs or even
> search terms?

URL re-writing only alters the URL, not the other related HTTP headers.
This can cause problems and is avoidable in most situations.

Also, if you are having problems with HIT rate think of all the other
admins out there suffering under your site design. You can save yourself
a lot of bandwidth costs by using a cache friendly design.

Squid (and most of the load balancers I've heard of) work best for the
case where one sub-domain is used with balancing on multiple IP addresses.

Splitting the content between two sub-domains (ie catpics.example.com,
dogpics.example.com) is another cache friendly way to do it, but does
loose some of the balancing benefits.

Amos

--
Please be using