Re: [squid-users] Youtube Caching

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 00:06:21 +1200

Khemara Lyn wrote:
> Thank you, Amos, for your comments and sorry for my late response.
>
> I don't use any auth methods. In fact, I am using WCCP2 with a Cisco
> router.

(I didn't write that, Luis did. But okay).

> I don't know if the patch you mentioned is compatible with the version
> 2.7 STABLE7.1 that i'm using now.

That ".1" at the end of your version indicates a distro-packaged
version. And it probably has not been updated to use the patch.

To use the patch you will likely need to build your own Squid from
sources which have had it applied. It should be compatible with all the
2.HEAD and 2.7 series code.

> BTW, I am considering using cachevideos (http://cachevideos.com/) to
> help cache the videos. Could someone with experience with the software
> comment about it and suggest an alternative software?

Videocache uses a two-layered approach to download the videos then
server them from the local machine. It's a bit winding and causes delays
on the initial fetch. That said, it's the best available for Squid
without the storeurl feature.

squid-2.7 storeurl as configured on the YT wiki page does the same thing
as videocache without the extra software plugin and startup lag.

And yes, videocache can still be used with squid-2.7 if you really want to.

Amos

--
Please be using