Re: [squid-users] Slightly OT: Configuring a router for Squid.

From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 12:16:42 -0430

Hi!

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Dave Coventry <dgcoventry_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 May 2010 05:21, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
> <ildefonso.camargo_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Some questions:
>>
>> 1. How is your network currently configured: static IPs, dhcp, if
>> dhcp, is the dlink router your dhcp server?
>
> Yes. The DLink allocates IP addresses on the network. The Squid box is
> set to .5 static IP

Ok.

>> 2. What is the goal of the proxy server?: access control
>> (restrictions, authentication), cache, other.
>
> All of the above. We have clients who want to access the net through
> their laptops, so configuring the clients' machines is not really
> desirable and, obviously for them we are not interested in their
> browsing habits. However, we want to place some restrictions on staff.
>  This is not an absolute requirement, though, although if the staff
> are abusing bandwidth, we'd like to know about it.

Ok, if you are interested in "access control", it is a must that you
have to avoid direct Internet access, more on this later.

>> 3. Who provides the DNS service? is the dlink router? is another server?
>
> No, it'll be the ISP who provide the DNS.

Ok, so, you could, in theory, add an internal DNS zone, right?
(because is doesn't currently exists). Now, and off-topic question:
do you have a "domain" on your network, or just have a "workgroup"
(I'm assuming you have Windows computers for your staff).

>> 4. How is the wireless part of the router being used? office
>> computers, some laptops, some of the "boss's" gadgets, other.
>
> Yes, the DLink has 4 wired ports one of which goes to the Squid Box
> and the others to local machines. Other staff desktops and laptops
> connect wirelessly and guests connect with laptops.

Ok, guests=clients ie, persons not part of the company, right?

> The boss does like his gadgets, though...

Yeah, all the bosses like their gadgets........

>> Depending on these answers, there are one or more options for you.
>
> That would be nice.

Ok, I'll wait these final answers.