Re: [squid-users] Slightly OT: Configuring a router for Squid.

From: Dave Coventry <dgcoventry_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 08:17:03 +0200

On 4 May 2010 05:21, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
<ildefonso.camargo_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Some questions:
>
> 1. How is your network currently configured: static IPs, dhcp, if
> dhcp, is the dlink router your dhcp server?

Yes. The DLink allocates IP addresses on the network. The Squid box is
set to .5 static IP

> 2. What is the goal of the proxy server?: access control
> (restrictions, authentication), cache, other.

All of the above. We have clients who want to access the net through
their laptops, so configuring the clients' machines is not really
desirable and, obviously for them we are not interested in their
browsing habits. However, we want to place some restrictions on staff.
 This is not an absolute requirement, though, although if the staff
are abusing bandwidth, we'd like to know about it.

> 3. Who provides the DNS service? is the dlink router? is another server?

No, it'll be the ISP who provide the DNS.

> 4. How is the wireless part of the router being used? office
> computers, some laptops, some of the "boss's" gadgets, other.

Yes, the DLink has 4 wired ports one of which goes to the Squid Box
and the others to local machines. Other staff desktops and laptops
connect wirelessly and guests connect with laptops.

The boss does like his gadgets, though...

> Depending on these answers, there are one or more options for you.

That would be nice.

;)

~Dave