Re: [squid-users] Slightly OT: Configuring a router for Squid.

From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 22:51:47 -0430

Hi!

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Dave Coventry <dgcoventry_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to add a proxy server to our office network.
>
> The router/modem is a DLink G604T and I want all requests for Internet
> access to be re rerouted to a Debian box with Squid Installed.
>
> How do I set this up?

Some questions:

1. How is your network currently configured: static IPs, dhcp, if
dhcp, is the dlink router your dhcp server?
2. What is the goal of the proxy server?: access control
(restrictions, authentication), cache, other.
3. Who provides the DNS service? is the dlink router? is another server?
4. How is the wireless part of the router being used? office
computers, some laptops, some of the "boss's" gadgets, other.

Depending on these answers, there are one or more options for you.

Sincerely,

Ildefonso Camargo