Re: [squid-users] squidguard vs Dansguardian ?

From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 01:20:56 -0430

Hi!

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM, David Touzeau <david_at_touzeau.eu> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Currently i have many HTTP uploads problems using DansGuardiand+Squid.
> I have upgraded to Squid 3.1 but problems still occur.
> It is not a Squid problem but a Dansguardian problem.

Nice, uploads problems too. Add this to your list: CONNECT problems,
one example from real live:

One of my clients use Outlook to connect to an external Exchange
server, and they pass through the proxy, when using Dansguardian
connection just keep "waiting" all the time, it never finish
connecting.... if the user connected directly to the squid port:
everything went just fine. Oh, even more: when I upgraded to latest
version (2.10.1.1), the CONNECT problem reduced its frequency (to
"from-time-to-time"), but then: performance went to the floor, the
network just started to be slower, and slower, and slower, until,
well: it was obvious that something was wrong, so, I had to disable
dansguardian for a while (still disabled).

I find it... just annoying.

With SquidGuard, although less maintained that DansGuardian:
03-Jan-2009, I never had this kind of problems, I believe because all
of the protocol thing is done by squid. I want to drop dansguardian,
but I really need the anti-virus thing :( . I was thinking if
squidguard could be extended to run AV checks, or maybe use another
anti-virus proxy (any ideas).

> It seems that Dansguardian is not currently maintain (last build
> 05-Jun-2009) and mailing list is very silent about this problem.
>
> I would like to switch to SquidGuard.

If you don't need the AV proxy: go, switch to SquidGuard.

> Did somebody have some experience using Squid 3.1.x  with SquidGuard ?
> performances, compatibilities with Squid 3.1.x and others ...

I have one question here: how many entries is "ok" on an ACL with
squid? a blacklist, for example:

acl black_list dstdomain "/etc/squid/black_list"

How many entries is ok to have with squid on the file /etc/squid/black_list?

What do you think?

Ildefonso Camargo