Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid3 Reverse Proxy based on url path

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 06:50:27 +0200

tor 2010-05-13 klockan 14:28 -0700 skrev rainolf:

> this is not my case cause foo directory is not present on my 2nd
> webserver..its only a fake directory just to route requests on 1st or 2nd
> server depending on fake url path..

If you want to rewrite the url path of the request then an url rewriter
is needed. See the url_rewrite_program directive.

Be warned however that I strongly advice against such setup if you have
any choice. Things is much easier and less prone to odd failures if the
URL can be passed as-is and you are only splitting up the URL namespace
among the servers as detailed in the FAQ.

The problem with rewriting the url is that there is then a mismatch
between what the client requested and what the origin web server thinks
is the URL of the resource. And the web server do use it's idea of what
the URL is at a number of places which may eventually reach the
requesting client.