Re: [squid-users] Advice regarding Squid Vs "regular" Apache

From: Peng, Jeff <pyh_at_l.nsbeta.info>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 18:22:50 +0800

2010/5/16 Reverse Squid <reversesquid_at_gmail.com>:
> Hey,
>
> Using Squid for some time now (reverse) to speed up my web page for my clients.
> While I simply purge my HTML files to make Squid come back and take
> 'em, can't I just rsync them over to a local apache, instead of Squid?
> That way I will even save the first request (all the files will simply
> be there), save all the over-head and IMS requests and everything.
> I would simply copy my files over upon every update and save them in
> the local file system.
> I don't even need mod_cache or anything.
>
> Other than maybe serving cached objects off memory and enabling
> cache_peers for faster replies, why would I need Squid?

Once I maintained 200+ Squid boxes for reverse proxies.
No squid, but copying files each by each with those number of physics servers?
That's a horrible job.

Also Squid answers most objects from its memory, that's faster than
from disk like Apache does.
If your squid box is far away from original server, then using a
suitable cache_peer cluster is worth a try.

--
Tech support agency in China
http://duxieweb.com/